Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Approaching the Checkered Flag

It's funny how fast this time is moving. We are trying to fit in so many last things.
The weather cooperated today so we went to Plymouth park, a wonderful wooden playground. She loved it and ran and climbed all over. She pretended to drive the truck and I sat in the back and played tap-tap with her. For you non-haitian travelers that is an open backed taxi-truck. When you want to get off you tap on the side and it alerts the driver to stop the vehicle, then you get off and pay him.
We went to the tridge and crossed over it. We climbed the hill and got a picture with the statue of the family. She was amazed at how big the woman was. The children were normal sized compared to her.
We played on the jungle gym climb and slide area. She loved that. She dumped her jacket. Michigan was no longer (fret) Cold. She was sweating.
We saw a man catch a large fish which he then released. That was very exciting. They also showed us their catch for the day which included a couple of catfish. She imitated the whiskers for the rest of the afternoon.
I explained what spring was and showed her my crocuses blooming. She was impressed by that. We got pictures everywhere we could think of. I'm glad that she knows that Michigan is not cold and snowy all the time.
We've started sorting out clothing into piles. Things that are too warm for Haiti, or too big or in too poor condition to go. Things that could fit her little sister or brother. Toys that would travel well. It's hard and exciting too.
She has one more big event coming up that she is absolutely thrilled about. She gets to go and ride a horse on Saturday. She is so excited about this. She points it out on the calendar several times each day and mimics the riding gait. She has never riden before so this is very special to her.
Less than 11 days and she will be back in Haiti. She is very happy about returning home. She is very happy about being there for her birthday which is April 25th. She is not happy with the idea that I am leaving haiti on the 26th to return home (without her). She gives me "that look" when I mention it. She has been very huggy with me lately. I know she is feeling the separation coming. Thank God that she has such a loving family to return home to. What a blessing that is to me knowing that she is being restored to the loving arms of her family. Will I cry? Of couse I will...but I will cherish this adventure for the rest of my life.

No comments: